Saturday, October 17, 2009

Final Lots Up for Auction

Cover for A Charming Exchange_file


The final items from A Charming Exchange for the charity auction going to Susan G. Komen for The Cure have been added at Ebay. This last lot includes the very special bracelet which graces the book's cover.


Cover bracelet worn 



 It is a replica of the one designed for me by my precious friend, Ruth Rae, and more loving friends when I was diagnosed with cancer. It is really such a gorgeous piece.


Cover bracelet_charm details


 It has so many unique and amazing charms hanging from it's soft suede, pearl, and ribbon base. There's a tiny, tiny key that belonged to my grandfather. There's a miniscule light bulb shining with the word Life. There's a fine silver charm with an art tree cut into it. It is simply the most pretty bracelet you could ever have. And, if you win it you should know that this bracelet carries with it much love, blessing and light.


Cover bracelet_fabric holder


It will arrive in this beautiful fabric case made by Ruth.


Thank you all so much for your support in this endeavor. I've learned more about having a charity auction than you can imagine. I'll be much more informed next time around after many a hair-pulling hour. But, it has all been worth it. We've worked on this book for such a long time, with so many truly amazing artists. To be able to use the talents and gifts of us all together for good, is such a blessing.


Pillow person details 001


I was thinking last night about cancer. I was thinking about how once you have breast cancer your life is changed forever in so many different ways. In some ways, it is an upside down blessing because you learn so quickly to value every second that you have. And, it seems to me to be of the utmost importance to try in every way, big and small, to help other women from ever having to fight breast cancer.


Pillow person details 002




Did you know that 85% of the women who get breast cancer have No Family History of the disease? So, if you are like me, and your mom didn't have it, and your sister didn't have it, don't think that you will never get it. You don't have to be afraid but you do have to be proactive. Get screened. The mammogram is currently the best test we have to detect breast cancer. But, know that I found my cancer on my own before every having a mammogram. They're your boobs. Protect them. And the rest of your body, as well. Do self-exams, get your yearly mammogram and live your life to the fullest.

5 comments:

mairedodd said...

a very personal and poignant post... love this auction... i have a very dear friend who just went thru her reconstruction a year after her surgery... made her 'ta ta' earrings - a double play on breasts, but also in hoping that she was saying farewell to the disease... hope you are, continue to be, well...

Riki Schumacher said...

Thank you for your caring, sharing love you send out. Be well. Riki

Cindy said...

What beautiful final pieces...this book has touched so many of us. I find that it is referenced over and over again because it is just so full of inspiration! Thank you for the reminders and all of the care you share.

Barbara said...

A wonderful post regarding the issues of breast cancer. The auction is such a caring and thoughtful gesture!

I think it's wonderful to use our love of varying art forms to help bring awareness. I participate in the Way to Women' Wellness foundation through my fiber art. I invite you to check out my blog for more information.

I have blogged about your wonderful blog and book in today's posting. Inspired by your blog, our local crazy quilt bee is having an exchange and I've posted some of our work.

Thank you again for all the inspiration!

WingingIt said...

thank you for your post...i am current on my mammograms...good reminder!!! loving the artwork on your blog...keep up the great support!